Thursday, July 5, 2012

Busy Isn't Beautiful

Good morning, friends!

I hope those of you in US had a great holiday.  It's disorienting to have a holiday in the middle of the week, don't you think?  I have to tell you, I find the 4th of July rather depressing and always have.  It's not that I'm not patriotic (though I do have plenty of concerns about this great nation).  It's more that I don't like feeling pressured to have fun.  I always feel like everyone is having such a good time while I'm just not connecting to the energy.  It can lead to a pensive moment or two.

It could be that when the Sun's in Cancer, our moods take on extra power, both positive and negative and this year, we have the added energy of the Full Moon in Capricorn on the 3rd.  When the Moon's in Capricorn we tend to get serious about our goals.  Life suddenly gets intense and we may experience frustration about what's not moving in the right direction.  Do you feel it?

We live in a world in which desire is a powerful force.  On top of that we've been conditioned to believe that if we work hard enough, long enough and think the right thoughts, it will all come together.  The American Dream is one that rewards striving.  I wonder sometimes, how healthy this is?

I've read a few articles over the last week about how busy we all are.  Friends call or write and we talk about how busy our lives are and how we barely have time to connect.  Being busy is a badge of honor almost, or perhaps an excuse to not show up.

I noticed this this week when I took my kids for a swim.  They were laughing and splashing in the pool while I listed all the things I need to get done.  I just couldn't get into the moment with them and was watching the clock, hoping to get them tuckered out enough to allow me time to focus on my own goals.  Needless to say, it didn't feel good.  At some point I just took a deep breath, noticed the sun on my skin and the sound of the leaves rustling.  The sky was blue and the summer breeze was warm.  It felt so good.  I brought my attention to my surroundings...the sounds, smells and textures of the moment.  It was a brief reprieve but a good one.

It's so easy to get stuck in the fun house of the mind.  Often the fun house is not fun at all when it becomes an endless list of things to do.  Even a holiday can turn into another project or goal to be wrangled.  I suggest we all stop.  For a minute or an hour and just feel the surroundings.  It's what we're here for.  We can desire, strive and build but unless and until we stop to feel it, what does it matter?

So I ask you today, in this post holiday energy, to really contemplate what it is to be alive right now.  To let go of the anxieties and pressure and busy-ness long enough to take a deep breath and just be here.  I'm joining you in the beauty of the NOW!

xo
-Julia


No comments: